Owner demolished projecting bay and built sun deck. Without permits, George Aigen demolished a projecting bay on his home at 58 Midwood Street and built a deck in its place. Aigen’s house was built in 1898 and is part of a string of Romanesque Revival/neo-Renaissance style rowhouses within the Prospect-Lefferts Gardens Historic District.
After Landmarks issued a warning letter for the demolition, deck construction and additional demolition of a rear shed, Aigen applied to legalize the work. Landmarks denied Aigen’s request, explaining that the projecting bay was a significant feature of the Midwood Street rowhouses and its demolition substantially diminished the value of Aigen’s home within the row.
Landmarks informed Aigen that the warning letter would remain in effect and he faced a potential NOV and fines if his home remained in its current condition.
LPC: 58 Midwood Street (CD# 06-7244) (April 11, 2006). CITYADMIN