Renowned fashion designer sought to increase light and space of studio. Designer Diane von Furstenberg sought alterations to her existing retail studio located at 440-442 West 14th Street in the Gansevoort Market Historic District. Developed in 1887, the building is an example of neo-Grec and Queen Anne style French flats, which contribute to the special architectural and historic character of the district.
Von Furstenberg and architect Daniel Wood of the Work Architecture Company proposed to alter the front facade by installing a new glazed storefront, a metal and corrugated glass wraparound canopy and new single-paned windows. Also proposed were a metal-clad rear yard addition, an asymmetrical rooftop addition and a laminated stone and glass skylight, to facilitate more natural light in the studio.
At the November 23, 2004 public hearing, von Furstenberg told Landmarks that the alterations, by opening the space on the ground floor, would increase the energy level within the studio. Landmarks approved, finding that the rooftop addition would not conceal significant features of the 1887 building and that the rear addition’s metal cladding matched the district’s industrial nature.
LPC: 440-442 West 14th Street (COFA #05- 4640) (January 4, 2005). CITYADMIN