New facade for 1887 residential building

New cladding and windows approved for Carnegie Hill Historic District home. Landmarks approved an application by the owner of 132 East 92nd Street to permit facade alterations and to construct a new garbage enclosure within the areaway. The neo-Regency-style residence, located in the Carnegie Hill Historic District, was originally built in 1887 as two separate rowhouses with a Queen Anne facade, but was redesigned and combined into a single structure in 1937-1938 by architect William L. Bottomley. The current owner will replace the facade’s stucco cladding and modern single-pane windows with limestone cladding and multipane windows.

In approving the application, Landmarks noted that while the original facade was constructed with stucco, the new limestone will bring the building closer to the design originally conceived by Bottomley based on his historical drawings, and that the multi-pane windows will recall the look of the building shown in a historic tax photograph.

LPC: Case No. 06-4427, 132 East 92nd Street (January 18, 2006) (Ron Czajka, Eric J. Smith Architects). CITYADMIN

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.