Design considered for destroyed East Side brownstone

Local residents oppose proposed design. On September 18, 2007, Landmarks held a public hearing on the controversial proposal from developer Janna Bulluck to construct a modern five-story townhouse at 34 East 62nd Street in the Upper East Side Historic District to replace the 1882 townhouse destroyed by a gas explosion in 2006.

Located between Madison Avenue and Park Avenue, the original brownstone once served as headquarters for “The Room,” an upper-class club that later served as a center for intelligence and espionage during the Presidency of Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Bulluck’s proposal, designed by architect Preston T. Phillips, would feature a contemporary, environment- friendly, limestoneclad building. The interior, outside of Landmarks’ purview, would include a swimming pool, spa, wine cave, and waterfall. When complete, Bulluck estimates the building to go on the market for at least $30 million.

Many preservationists and neighbors spoke out against Bulluck’s proposal, arguing that the new building would be too distinct from other buildings on the block in both style and materials. Opponents also objected to the proposed recessed ground-floor entrance.

Landmarks, however, generally approved of the proposal, but asked that the architect redesign the recessed entrance. Landmarks did not set a date for the presentation of a new design or a vote on approval.

LPC: Hearing on 34 East 62nd Street (COFA #08-0312) (Sept. 18, 2007).


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.