Changes to former Cocoa Exchange Building Ok’ed

Beaver Building gets new 16th-story addition and significant renovations. Richard Fownes of Cocoa Partners, LP gained approval to renovate the Beaver Building, an individual landmark that housed the N.Y. Cocoa Exchange from 1931-1972. Located on a narrow lot at the junction of Beaver and Pearl Streets, the Beaver Building is flatiron- shaped, steel-framed and has a tripartite design, prevalent in early New York skyscrapers, with three sections: a vertically-aligned stone base, a horizontal-patterned brick center and an ornate terracotta top. Constructed in 1903, the building was designated a landmark in 1996.

As part of the planned conversion to housing, the owner applied to remove the existing metal infill; create an entrance on Pearl Street; add entrance canopies, new lighting and sconces with a building motif; and construct a stucco rooftop addition to contain a gym. The addition would be partially visible from Pearl, Beaver, Hanover and Water Streets.

Landmarks approved, finding that the light color of the addition reduced its visual impact. The decision noted that the ground floor alterations would improve the building’s architectural unity by removing inappropriate alterations made to the building prior to its designation.

LPC: 82 Beaver Street, Beaver Building (COFA# 05-3478) (January 18, 2005) (Fifield Pirker Elman, Architects). CITYADMIN

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.