Landmarks designated two new individual landmarks. The 1886 Estey Piano Factory, at 112 Lincoln Avenue in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx, is the oldest piano factory in New York, and the centerpiece of the once thriving industrial area. With its prominent clock tower, brick facade, and historical significance, the piano factory was roundly endorsed at the April 11 hearing. 3 CityLand 4 (May 15, 2006).
Landmarks also designated the Theodore F. and Elizabeth J. DeHart House, at 134 Main Street in Tottenville, on Staten Island’s southwest shore. The 1850-era clapboard cottage is called a “rare survivor of early Tottenville” in Landmarks’ designation report. Built originally by a member of the Totten family, the house was named for long-time resident Theodore F. DeHart, who was involved in the oyster trade. Supporters of designation included Council Member Andrew J. Lanza, the Historic Districts Council, the Tottenville Historical Society, and the Preservation League of Staten Island. The designation was supported unanimously by the Commissioners present.
LPC: Estey Piano Company Factory, 112 Lincoln Avenue (LP-2195); Theodore H. and Elizabeth J DeHart House (LP- 2181) (May 16, 2006).