Addition approved for Fifth Avenue Museum

Two-story addition to be constructed in museum courtyard. Landmarks issued a binding report approving a two-story addition and access ramp to be constructed at the Museum of the City of New York. The Museum, a designated landmark located at 1220 Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, was designed by Joseph Freedlander and built between 1929-1930 in a Late-Georgian style.

In its application, the Museum proposed to construct a glass-walled, two-story addition in its south courtyard. The addition would connect underground to the existing Museum and through two small corridors on the first floor. The proposal also called for the street wall on 104th Street to be re-clad in limestone to match the base of the main building and installation of an access ramp.

Landmarks found that the scale of the addition was appropriate and required only minimal alterations to the Museum. Landmarks also noted that the proposed glass and metal structure was evocative of conservatory buildings commonly found behind museum buildings of this style.

LPC: Museum of the City of New York, 1220 Fifth Avenue (CRB 06-4881) (January 9, 2006). CITYADMIN

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.