Permit issued for two rooftop additions to historic Woolworth Building as part of change to residential use. In 2000, the Witkoff Group applied to Landmarks to add two, two-story rooftop additions to the wings of the Woolworth Building as part of its plan to convert the top stories of the designated landmark to residential use. Witkoff’s plan also called for a glass enclosure on the 29th floor of the west tower, a new glass canopy on Park Place, additional landscaping of the roof terrace and the lengthening of window openings on several floors. The Cass Gilbert-designed Woolworth Building, at 792-feet, was the city’s tallest building for the 17 years following its 1913 construction.
Witkoff later reduced the additions to one-story. With the reduction, Landmarks approved, finding the additions, although visible, small in relation to the building. Landmarks noted that the additions would be lower than existing mechanical equipment and historic stair towers on the western wings. Noting that the terrace garden and window alterations would not be visible from the street, Landmarks approved both and also found the proposed modern glass canopy to be set back far enough on Park Place so as to not detract from the main entrance on Broadway. Although Landmarks approved in 2000, the permit was not issued until late August 2006.
LPC: Woolworth Building, 233 Broadway (COFA# 07-1618) (Aug. 29, 2006) (Elise Quasebarth, Higgins & Quasebarth, for Witkoff). CITYADMIN