The markers commemorate Flatbush’s first historic district. On December 8, 2021, the Landmarks Preservation Commission revealed the historic district marker that will commemorate the East 25th Street Historic District in East Flatbush, Brooklyn. The historic district, which runs on East 25th Street between Clarendon Road and Avenue D, was designated last year.
The East 25th Street Historic District consists of 56 row houses built between 1909 to 1912 in the Renaissance Revival style. The homes feature well preserved limestone or brownstone fronts, rounded or angled bays, foliated keystones and ornamented entrances. Local residents strongly advocated for the designation of their street as a historic district, and take pride in their maintenance and upkeep of their homes.
The new marker, located mid-block in front of 336 East 25th Street, highlights the district’s boundaries and the block’s historic importance. Landmarks Chair Sarah Carroll, New York Landmarks Preservation Foundation (NYLPF) Chair Tom Krizmanic, and Council Member Farah N. Louis joined local residents for the unveiling of the new marker.
Landmarks Chair Carroll stated, “The Commission designated the East 25th Street Historic District last year to recognize both the architectural quality and the residents’ incredible stewardship of their historic homes and their block. The installation of these historic district markers will memorialize the Commission’s designation of this historic district—the first in East Flatbush—and let New Yorkers and visitors alike know about East 25th Street’s architectural and historic importance.”
Council Member Louis stated, “I am proud to represent Council District 45, which now includes the first-ever Historic Landmark District in Flatbush. The designation of the East 25th Street Historic District is a testament to the power of neighbors working together to preserve the integrity of their community. By protecting the Renaissance Revival-style rowhouses along East 25th Street between Clarendon Road and Avenue D, we are ensuring that future development does not demolish and forever erase the history of this neighborhood. It is so important that the resiliency of our city and cultural diversity remains unshakeable.”
Julia Charles, founder of the East 25th Street Historic Initiative, stated, “Today celebrates a culmination of the intersection between history, honor and inspiration. These historic district markers highlight and celebrate the developer, architects, craftsmanship and residents who have made this block special from its inception to present day. The markers will emphasize our historic achievement for generations to come and hopefully encourage other preservation efforts.”
By: Veronica Rose (Veronica is the CityLaw fellow and a New York Law School student, Class of 2018.)