Rendering of 311 Vanderbilt Avenue. Image Credit: LPC.
Sculptural dwelling takes cues from arched bays of carriages houses common to Clinton Hill’s Vanderbilt Avenue. On February 7, 2017, the Landmarks Preservation Commission considered and approved an application to construct a new building on a vacant lot at 311 Vanderbilt Avenue in Brooklyn’s Clinton Hill Historic District. The site, currently used for parking, is on a through-block lot, with an existing 1890 townhouse facing Clinton Avenue. The planned building will rise to four stories, with the top floor set back from the main facade. (read more…)
Architect rendering of 147 St. Felix Street. Image credit: Think Architecture
Commissioners praised design of proposed three-story residential building for relating to historic district in an innovative contemporary manner. On January 19, 2016, the Landmarks Preservation Commission considered a proposal for a new building on a vacant lot at 147 St. Felix Street, at the corner of Hanson Place. The site lies at the edge of the Brooklyn Academy of Music Historic District. A mid-19th century rowhouse originally on the lot was lost in 1917, and the reproduction that replaced it was demolished due to dangerous conditions following a water main break in 1999.
A rendering of the proposed converted Domino sugar refinery in Dumbo. Image credit: ODA Architecture
Plan would replace existing, non-original, facade facing East River, with sculptural contemporary facade of glass and metal. The Landmarks Preservation Commission considered an application on February 3, 2015, for the renovation of an 1898 factory building at 10 Jay Street in the DUMBO Historic District. The building, originally built to process coffee, and later converted to a sugar refinery, was substantially altered in the 1940s, with approximately half the building demolished. The proposal would include the construction of a new contemporary facade at the northern river-facing side of the building, created by the demolition. The applicants intend to repurpose the building for residential use, with ground-floor retail.
The Farm Colony-Seaview Hospital Historic District, where a proposed development plan would demolish five buildings for senior housing and other uses. Image credit: LPC
Plan for former Farm Colony would entail the demolition five out of eleven historic structures in the district, create senior housing. On September 30, 2014, the Landmarks Preservation Commission considered an application for the redevelopment of the New York City Farm Colony-Seaview Hospital Historic District, located in Staten Island in the Castleton area. The 45-acre property, which housed indigent and disabled New Yorkers in exchange for labor, operated roughly from 1898 to 1975, and was developed from 1874 to the 1930s. In addition to being a landmarked historic district, the Farm Colony is also zoned in a special natural area district, which mandates the preservation of any unique natural features. The colony’s buildings have been little maintained since its abandonment. The City has been actively working to revitalize the area since the 1990s, with the most recent request for expressions of interest issued in 2012. Staten Island-based NFC Associates were selected as the developers. (read more…)
Rendering of 2 Fillmore Place Project. Image Credit: Christoff Finio
Applicants say wood in proposed façade would mirror the tone of the historic district’s primarily masonry fabric in contemporary language. On July 8, 2014, the Landmarks Preservation Commission, in its first meeting headed by new Chair Meenakshi Srinivasan, considered a proposal for a new building on a vacant lot at 2 Fillmore Place, at the corner of Driggs Avenue, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. The site lies in the Fillmore Place Historic District, a 29-property district that was designated in 2009. The proposed structure would be used as preschool, utilizing the Reggio Emilia educational philosophy. (read more…)
Rendering of original proposed reconstruction at site of Old St. Patrick’s Convent and Girls School. Approved rendering not available. Image Credit: LPC
Application affecting individual landmark would include the demolition of a 1950s extension and the construction of a glass brick townhouse. On October 8, 2013, the Landmarks Preservation Commission held a hearing on a proposed project for a portion of the 1966-designated Old St. Patrick’s Convent and Girls School. The project site, located at the corner of Prince and Mott Streets in Manhattan, was originally built as an orphanage and was most recently used as school. The project proposes to demolish an addition to the building from 1950 which faces Mott Street, and build a new one-family townhouse. Additional extensions would be built on the roof of an 1860 extension, also facing Mott Street. The owners would also restore the orphanage building and convert it for residential use.
Monsignor Donald Sakano of Old St. Patrick’s Cathedral testified that the school, which had long occupied the building, closed three years ago. He stated that the church intended to use the proceeds from the sale of the building to maintain and restore the church’s other historic structures. Sakano said the church would retain use of three stories in the former orphanage, primarily to further its work in adult education. Abby Hamlin, President of developer Hamlin Ventures, testified that the work proposed would include the “superb” restoration of the façade of the original 1826 orphanage building, while redeveloping the interior for residential use. She stated that the work constituted a “modest expansion” of the existing square footage, which is much less than what would be allowed as-of-right under the area’s zoning. (read more…)