Rendering of the interior of the Museum. Image Credit: LPC.
Approved addition, occupying a quarter acre of parkland, will increase connections for better museum circulation, provide additional space to store collection materials, and allow visitors to watch scientists at work. At its meeting on October 11, 2016, the Landmarks Preservation Commission voted to issue a binding report for the construction of an addition, and associated demolition, to the American Museum of Natural History, an individual landmark on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. The addition, to be named the Gilder Center for Science, Education and Innovation, will be the first significant intervention on the museum campus since the completion of the Rose Center for Earth and Space in 2000. The addition would be sited on the western side of the museum, and would create new Columbus Avenue public entrance. (read more…)
United Nations Hotel. Image Credit: LPC
Early Postmodern bar and lobby a rare intact example of interior architecture and design from the late 1970s and early 1980s. On September 20 2016, the Landmarks Preservation Commission voted to add first floor interiors on the United Nations Hotel at 1 United Nations Plaza to its calendar, formally commencing the designation process. The interiors under consideration are the hotel’s lobby and the public areas of the Ambassador Grill. The lobby was completed in 1983, and the grill in 1976. Both were designed by the firm of Kevin Roche Dinkeloo Associates for the United Nations Development Corporation. (read more…)
LPC staff archaeologist Jessica McLean discussing select items from the repository. Image Credit: CityLand
The City’s archaeological resources now stored in one secure, climate-controlled space, catalogued, and collection digitized for public. On October 5, 2016, the Landmarks Preservation Commission held a ceremony unveiling the New York City Archaeological Repository: Nan A. Rothschild Research Center at 114 West 47th Street in Midtown Manhattan. The repository holds 1518 boxes of archaeological artifacts in a 1439-square-foor climate-controlled space donated by the Durst Organization. Until consolidated at the repository, the items were stored at multiple locations throughout the City, with varying degrees of access and oversight. In a press release, Landmarks stated that the Center made New York the first municipality to systematically collect, catalogue, curate, and make accessible its archaeological resources. (read more…)
339 West 29th Street. Image Credit: NY Public Library
With previous development plan stopped mid-operation by DOB permit revocation and landmark designation, applicant sought approval for the creation of a rear addition, a two-story roof addition, and a new brick-faced facade. On September 20, 2016, the Landmarks Preservation Commission held a public hearing on a proposal for alterations and additions to 339 West 29th Street, in the Lamartine Place Historic District. The building was constructed in 1847, and underwent alterations in the 20th century. The LLC that owns the property is reported to be controlled by Tony Manoumas. (read more…)
Morningside Heights Historic District Map. Image Credit: LPC
Potential 115-building district was largely developed in a short time frame following closures of two asylums that occupied area and extension of IRT subway line at turn of the century. On September 13, 2016, the Landmarks Preservation Commission voted to add the Morningside Heights Historic District to its calendar, formally commencing the designation process. The proposed district is composed of approximately 115 buildings in upper Manhattan, to the west and south of Columbia University’s campus. The district is almost entirely residential in character, with some institutional buildings, including Broadway Presbyterian Church, falling within its borders. (read more…)
Rendering of 327 Bleecker Street. Image Credit: FSI Architecture.
New corner building will use reclaimed brick from the demolished structure to the extent possible and appear largely as the demolished building did circa 1940. On September 13, 2016, the Landmarks Preservation Commission voted to approve the demolition of the building at 327 Bleecker Street in the Greenwich Village Historic District. The deteriorated and unstable building on the corner lot, which dates to the 1830s, will be replaced with a structure that would reflect how the existing building appeared in the early 20th century. The owners had initially intended to retain and alter the existing building, and received a certificate of appropriateness for planned work in 2012. (read more…)